Wednesday, January 02, 2013

AKUNONA: THE GREAT 2012 BOOK CONSUMPTION REVIEW part 1

The End of The Beginning

Not that, that really means anything. A quote from Winston Churchill. Happy New Year, I guess. It is 2013. My brothers have gone off to school. And I am at home, lounging about doing nothing really. There is a reason, and a dilemma behind that, but maybe, at a later date, I will get back to that. I might do a bullet points post on reflections and the like. But I don't really promise anything.

I wanted to watch Arashi on Kouhaku this year. What with being home and all, it seemed like the perfect condition. But my parents won't let me get the channels on our cable. So I watched Arafes. Which, really? Maybe was even better than Kouhaku by thousands.

So, anyway. In the event of this New Year and everything, I thought I'd write an informational post. Well, slightly more informational than the usual fare anyway. I thought I'd write some thoughts/reviews on books that I have read during 2012. At least, the ones I remember reading. And so, without further ado:

AKUNONA: 2012 BOOK CONSUMPTION REVIEW part 1



2012 wasn't really a good year, book reading wise. I was doing my clinical training and they tend to cut a dent in any pleasure reading endeavours. But I did finish some good books, especially during postings that are less hectic and the occasional really good book that I finish in three days because they are that good, regardless of posting. This review shall be separated in a few categories which are, fiction, nonfiction and fanfiction.

Fanfiction doesn't really count as a book, I know. But hey, some stories are just really that good.

A. Fiction.

1. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
One day, my friend recommended me this book. Having watched John Green in his vlog channel that he shares with his brother, Hank, and liking him somewhat, I thought that I would give it a try. So, one fine afternoon after class, I took myself to the nearest bookstore and bought this book. And proceeded to finish it in half a day.

It was that good.

Now, to be honest, the story itself, the whole major plotline, was rather predictable. In a way, it had a been there, done that, I know that this and this is going to happen sort of plot. But the flow of it was beautiful. Engaging. The interactions between characters especially. The dialogue between Hazel and Augustus. I am a fan of smart dialogues and this book, really hits the mark.

The book comes with a warning though. The gist of which, to remember, what ever happens, it's just a story. Which is another reason why I like it so much. I have always only read for fun. I don't read to get anything specific. I don't look too deep. I read it, I get the story, if I learn something in the process then, yay me. But I only ever read because I want to enjoy a story. So the fact that this book, emphasizes the fact, that it is just a book, just a story and everything's made up makes me love it a little bit more.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities." page 260. Hazel. The Fault in Out Stars

2. The 100 year old Man who Climbed Out the Window and Dissapeared by Jonas Jonassan
In which the title pretty much describes the major event in the story. Quite literally. Another book recommended to me by a friend and I bought because the title seemed promising. It didn't disappoint. The main character, Allan Karlsson is a healthy 100 year old man with a fondness for vodka and a lack of morals in his doings and any judgment in other people. He also hates politics, especially those who talk too much about it. 

The story runs in two different times. One in the past which tells us what Allan has been doing from youth until he lands himself in the care facilty, and the other tells us what he's doing after he escapes said care facility. And what a story. It's a very entertaining and light story which is only enhanced by Allan's nonchalance towards everything. Except vodka. 

Why I like it so much, is actually the very entertaining take on a part of Indonesian culture. When I reached the end of the book, my reaction was to literally, look left, lookright, and say "Huh." Maybe because at the time I was studying in Indonesia. But hey. It's awesome. 

3. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Ready Player One has been aptly described as a nerdgasm. In all honesty? I wouldn't know. Being born in the late eighties and growing up a 90's kid, I didn't really get a lot of the pop culture references. But first, a background. The story revolves around Wade Watts, in 2044 where reality sucks and everyone really lives in a video game known as the Oasis. Oasis is like the video game and internet of the future. One day the creator dies, but rather than just passing away quietly with his billions he makes a game where he hides an easter egg in the Oasis and the one who finds it will inherit his fortune. And so basically, the whole story is the Wade Watts' perilous quest to find it. No, really. It is perilous. People were killing other people for it kinda perilous.

Like I said, being a 90's kid, I didn't really get all the references. Except for maybe a small, small few. But it didn't really disturb the flow of it. It's like you learn about it as you read through the book. What I really liked about the story was that it read like a movie. So it's not a surprise that it already has plans for a movie. I personally think it would translate really well.

4. Looking for Alaska by John Green.
This book talks about death. Not in a really depressing, I'm so depressed kinda way. But the protaganist has an obsession with Last Words of various Famous People. Quirky. The book revolves around Pudge who moves to a Boarding school to seek a Great Perhaps. Where he befriends a bunch of smart kids on the outskirts of popularity and commences his Perhaps-ing. Then of course, as they say, the shit hits the fan.

This book, is sad. Really sad. And sort of thinky too. As a story, it's fine. Rather sad. Rather thinky. If you like that sort of stuff. Myself? I was confused by this book. Still a little bit am. I can't give a better opinion on this book except that it is sad. And that's it. Also, American boarding schools sound so much more better than ours here. But that can just be fictionized romanticization. Or something.

5. Room by Emma Donaghue
I almost forgot about this book. And what a waste it would have been. Room is a story about Jack, a five year old boy, whose world is Room. That's all he knows. The consequences that bring about his being in room with his mother, they're escape and the following adaptation towards the world in the eyes of this five year old is written very beautifully. The development of Jack is the part that's interesting.

I liked the book. I can't really remember why I liked it in the first place but I remember it being one of the best books I've read in 2012. Even though I almost forgot. But hey. Anyway. It felt dark, surprising, shocking but also slightly hopeful.

Other books I've read in 2012 (at least the ones I remember)

6. The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood - dystopian future kind of thingy. So and so.
7. Plugged by Eoin Colffer - A hitman with a sensitive spot about his balding head. Really don't mention it to him. Fun read.
8. Abraham Lincoln Vampire Killer - Weird. Really weird. I didn't finish it BECAUSE I MISPLACED IT AND IT IS GONE. Yeah. stupid.
9. The King's Bastard - First part of a promising looking trilogy. I haven't found the second book yet, but I'm looking forward to it.
10. The Art of Fielding - haven't finished reading this yet.
11. The Night Circus - haven't finished reading this yet. Fairly interesting but needs some work wading through. The imagery brought by it is beautiful. But takes some work wading through the story.

end of part 1

akunona

No comments: