Friday, July 10, 2009

Out for the count

I'm sick.

Oh don't worry. It's not swine flu.

It's mild typhoid. My blood test came back with a titer as high as 1/1280 for Salmonella paratyphi B and a low white blood count.

Seriously, I have no idea how I got it. I rarely eat out at "warteg"s or "dorongan"s. And even if I do, it's with my housemates. But they're all dandy. Tho two of them are recovering from the flu. Don't worry, it wasn't H1N1 for them either.

Actually, this is the first time I've been this sick. Monday I was feeling fine, on a road to recovery from a mild flu I had the past week. Tuesday, I started feeling bad, had a bad headache, so went to sleep early but I couldn't sleep well and kept waking up every few hours and had weird dreams.

Wednesday morning, I felt like hell. Like really, really bad. All I wanted to do was sleep but everytime I went to sleep, I had weird dreams that carried everytime I woke up and continued when I went back to sleep. Actually, I think it's weird that I realize this but yeah... I wasn't exactly thinking straight. At one point, I even ended up sleeping on the floor because I couldn't stand sleeping on the bed. I felt so weak, that I actually regretted having a room on the upstairs floor because everytime I wanted to get a glass of water, my legs would shake beneath me and I had to literally grip the railings.

At one certain point of lucidity, I decided I couldn't take this anymore and asked my friend to accompany me to the hospital. So we went, they took my temperature, blood pressure and all that. The doctor asked me questions and all that. (I kept thinking about my lessons when we were going through all this...geek much?) And they wanted to do a blood test. So, we waited for two hours, and voila, Widal test came back positive for Salmonella paratyphi B H.

I was like... huh... what the heck did I eat?

So the doctor gave me some vitamins, antipiretics and antibiotics, gave me the instructions, and I went on my merry way back home, to another round of fitful sleep.

He didn't even give me an MC. hahaha....

So, I'm recovering fairly well. I still have bouts of headaches, sometimes I still feel weak but my fever's gone down and I'm doing good.

It's weird, but everytime I went to sleep, it was always the same type of dream. That I wanted to establish a team of really hot people. Not hot as in sexy, hot as in high temperature, sick hot. There was talk of various strategy and military manouvers. No, Really. There was one time I woke up and said "but i'm not sure i'll reach that level" (in malay of course, it'll be weirder if it was in english). And in another moment of clear headedness, I didn't want to go to sleep because I valued my sanity more. Hahahah.... it's.... really, really weird.

Another issue of note, the H1N1 virus. Funny, we just discussed this in class last, Monday, was it? There have been suspected and confirmed cases amongst the students in Ukrida. Everyone was given a check up today. Now, Ukrida is closed for a week. Until Saturday.

I pray that everyone infected make a fast recovery and everyone who isn't infected to stay healthy.

Everyone please wear masks and all that. Don't bother with people looking at you weird or anything. If you don't want people looking at you weird, then just stay away from places with lots of people. Take extra precautions, wash your hands.. you know... everything they keep saying in those informational posters and what not.


_healthiswealthsoeveryonetakecare!!!!_
AkuNOnA

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah sayang mak, kesiannya. am glad you went to see a doctor. take care

Anonymous said...

maybe the disease makes you dream weird things. there was one time i took medication for two weeks b4 bed an ended having weird dreams for the whole two weeks. funny thing was that when i woke up, i feel very fresh haha. drugs and diseases = weird dreams haha. oh n get well soon, so i can see next month aight. abang.