Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Meaningless trip down memory lane

My high school was a boarding school. We weren't a fancy full boarding school or SBP, nor were we private. We just became a boarding school.
Even I don't know why we were. And I lived there for 5 years. The special thing about my school was we had this KRK program. It stood for Kelas Rancangan Khas which sorta means special program. Not that I remember anything special about it.

When I was in form 4 or, fourth year, which ever you want to look at it, we had a new program called SISP. A program where primary school kids from year 4 to year 6 stayed at out dorm and went to our school. They had their own classes of course, they took primary school work but they just shared our building.
I don't know what the logic behind that was, there were just there one year and continued to be there. I kinda want to ask one of them if it was any good. If it really opened doors or anything.

I wasn't social in high school. More of a quiet, studious kid, with serious temper issues and a stickler for rules. A teacher's pet maybe. Don't look at me, I have no idea how I came out like that. I wasn't popular.

I didn't have a lot of friends in my first year. I didn't really make any good friends, I think, until second year. But still then, I was a loner most of the time.
I didn't really talk to boys. I still don't really talk to boys, but not as bad as I was back then.
Somehow though, I stuck out. Maybe because I had an older brother there. The teachers knew who I was and I have a somewhat funny memory that happened at the dining hall due to my connections in my first year.

We have this PMR exams that everyone takes in third year. If you had good results, you had a chance of transferring to a better school. An SBP or go into MARA colleges. I was hoping to transfer to an SBP you know. I had good results but in my fourth year, when everyone had offers to other schools I didn't get one. I cried, I remember.
So I stayed another two years at Tualang. Finishing my secondary school education. I was made prefect in my fourth year and oddly enough, head girl in my fifth.

I didn't deserve both posts. I still think it was because of connections rather than my own abilities. Not that I exploited it, no. It was just expected I think. That because I had good connections, I was good too. Not really.

I had a lot of fleeting crushes but the one that lasted the longest was from year 3 and continued beyond that. Not that I have ever been in a relationship. It was pretty much one sided. You can guess that I am severely lacking in the social skills department. This makes me really, really glad though, that I didn't transfer out of my school because, maybe, I would never have made it. Anyway, I liked him. And that's all I'm going to go into that.

I never knew that there were so many choices of what you wanted to do and where you wanted to go after SPM. I mainly thought that matriculation was my only chance and thankfully, I did make it there. And now, I'm where I am. I don't know how I made it, but I'm really thankful that I did. The continuous mental breakdowns notwithstanding.

I think, what I'm trying to say here is, the one thing I loved most about high school is my group of friends. I miss them. I missed the fun we had together (as much fun as you can have while being the stick-in-the-mud.) I missed out mostly, but I had my own fun. I am thankful that I had been given the chance of meeting these lovely ladies.

So, they are organizing a breaking fast event for sometime early next month. My notifications in facebook are flooded. I've been dutifully keeping myself updated by skimming through the comments. And was suddenly struck by a feeling of melancholy. So I wrote this.

I'm planning on going. It seems interesting enough. I haven't met most of these people since I finished highschool erm... 4-5 years ago. It would be fun, but at the same time, I don't really want to go. Because somehow, I remember I don't fit in with this group of people that much. Even if I went, maybe I'd spend the time with Leika or Syamok if she makes.
It seems that I haven't changed much. Still the loner, the studious kid with the glasses and the eccentricities. Though I think I do have a handle on the whole temper thing nowadays.

andmaybeijustdon'twanttomeetyou

AkunoNA

No comments: