Friday, May 22, 2009

One night...

It began like any other night.

I was in my room, studying, with regular intervals of facebook-ing to play "word challenge". My personal method of relaxing when I couldn't read anymore. It was already past eleven p.m. and the night was silent, even the ever present 'dorongan' did not pass by our house. Suddenly, I heard a soft voice calling out my name...

"Nona...." it said.

At first I thought I might have misheard, so I took out my earphones and listened intently.

Again,

"Nonaaa...." a woman's voice called.

Sighing, I got up from my comfortable place on the floor and unlocked the door.

"Yes Fiqi, what is it?" I asked as I stepped out of my room.

Fiqi, my house mate was standing in the doorway of her room. She had a worried look on her face and she was rubbing her arms up and down in a nervous gesture.

Silently, she beckoned me towards her room...and pointed at a piece of crumpled paper on the floor.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"What do you think is this?"

She had moved towards the paper and had picked it up gingerly with her finger tips. Slowly, she unwrapped the paper to reveal a big fat maggot.

Disgust welled deep in my stomach as I watched the maggot move across the paper. Its body shortening and lengthening with each movement. Unconciously, I took a step back.

"Ew. Where the heck did that come from?"

Fiqi glanced at the maggot as it moved sinously across the paper. Fiercely, she scrunched the paper in her hands before throwing it into her trash bin.

She quickly filled me in on what had happened.

She had been studying microbiology in preparation for a quiz that we would be having the next day when suddenly, something fell on her paper. It was round-like and slightly greyish in colour and at first she thought that it was nothing but suddenly, it moved. To her surprise, it was a maggot. She ignored it, thinking it was nothing and merely moved to another spot when suddenly, she saw something fall out of the corner of her eyes.

Another maggot.

By the third maggot, she had lost her nerve and called me.

I suppressed a shudder, still eyeing the crumpled piece of paper. To my surprise, something came crawling out from underneath it.

"Dude, it's still alive!" I thought.

"Where did you think it came from? What is it?" she asked, her voice tinted with worry and disgust.

I followed her gaze to her ceiling. I didn't see any obvious cracks and really, I had no idea what the maggot was and where the heck it could have come from.

Together we tried to figure out where had the maggots fallen from. As we were discussing the possibilities, suddenly Fiqi grabbed my arm.

"Do you smell something?" she asked.

I obligingly sniffed the air.

"No. Nothing weird." I said.

"Maybe seeing the maggots produced a psychological effect and your're only think your smelling something weird." I added half-jokingly.

Fiqi merely shrugged her shoulders, a worried expression still marring her features.

Finally, deducing from her position when the first maggot fell and looking at possible cracks, I figured out that the maggot would have fallen out from her light fixture or somewhere around it.

We decided to put the cover back over the lamp in an attempt to catch anymore falling maggots and hopefully, make Fiqi's room once again maggot free. She had climbed a cabinet in order to be able to reach the light fixture and I was holding it steady for her when suddenly, I saw something move near the edge of the light fixture.

My eyes widened in shock and disgust when I realized that it was another maggot. Slowly it moved, almost languidly, towards the edge, and fell.

"Yuck. Fiqi another one just fell!"

Fiqi's eyes widened in horror.

"Where is it? Where is it? Yuck!!" she cried, getting off the cabinet in a hurry and running her hands through her hair.

Panic hit the room as we tried to figure out where it had fallen and that it hadn't fallen on her hair, oh please not on her hair...

But we were safe. It had fallen behind her and had landed on the floor. I informed Fiqi and she came and joined me where I was leaning against the doorframe. Hesitant to enter the room.

"That was disgusting," she moaned. "Where is it?"

I pointed it out for her. Cursing softly under her breath, she proceeded to scoop it up with another piece of paper and squished it while I watched for anymore falling maggots when suddenly...it hit me.

A smell so foul I almost gagged. The smell of rotting flesh. Of decay.

Shock and disgust followed by a small feeling of despair flooded through me as I finally realized what it was and where the maggots had came from.

"Fiqi..."

She turned her head slightly to look at me.

"The kittens on our ceiling..."

She nodded cautiously.

"One died above your ceiling and the maggots from it's body is falling into your room."

The silence was permeated with a rotten smell.


*********************************************************************************


Hmm....that actually happened. Just a few nights ago.

Maggots!!!

We called the handyman who's in charge of maintaining the house for the owner. He came in the afternoon the next day, climbed up into the attic and got rid of the kittens. I say kittens because there were actually two dead kittens on our ceiling. One was still alive but ran away when he tried to catch it. Please don't let it die up there too. We think they probably died of starvation. We have no idea how their mom got them in there and neither of us could climb up into the attic because none of us actually knew how.


On another note, my english essay writing fails so spectacularly, it deserves fireworks to burn it out of existence. I just wanted to practice it and see how it goes. That's why i decided to write this entry out in this format. I'm out of practice. Rusty. I realize I haven't written a story in more than a year. This tells me how much I fail.



Seriously long and pointless entry. XD


~iusedtowanttobeanauthor~
AkUnOnA
p/s story might contain embellishments to make it a fun read and some censoring because I tend to curse a lot when surprised. But really, that was mostly what happened.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cue eerie music............

first when i started reading, i thought it's going to be a 'spiritual' story.............

turned out to be a disgustingly sad story................

i feel for you..............